Pages

Monday, February 13, 2012

Liquor Store Games

My favorite liquor store is just up the street. I can buy 3 bottles of decent red table wine for 13 bux. It's a ridiculous deal. Some of the brands go for $10 a bottle in other stores. Don't ask me how they can offer this deal. Anyway, this is the preferred store, for obvious reasons.

However, after a while, whether the guy behind the desk is passing judgment or not, I would get a little paranoid. I walked in every few days and left with enough wine to last an average two-person household more than a week - only to march right back a few days later. So, I would spread it around. There's the place near the grocery store, then there's the other place near the grocery store, there's the place a mile down the boulevard and the place a little further down than that. You get to know all the people who work at all the stores. But you secretly hope that they don't remember you.

Then, you have to do the whole "keeping track of when each store closes on Sunday" thing. In a nearby state (one that I work in on Sundays), the liquor stores close at 8PM. The liquor stores close at 6PM in my state, so I need to remember to buy my booze before I leave the state I am working in for the day so I have something to drink that night.

Because, let me tell you, there is nothing worse than realizing you didn't plan well and you have nothing to drink for an entire evening. You have to go to plan B: Eat out and order several drinks at dinner. There isn't much of an alternative.

You see how tiring this game is?

No comments:

Post a Comment