Pages

Friday, February 17, 2012

Day 7 Update

It's been 7 days of sobriety and I'm feeling and doing just fine. Of course, this is a Booze Brain dream. See? You're doing fine without me. This means that you aren't an alcoholic. Hurray! Why don't we celebrate with a margarita? Oh, Booze Brain, you are so predictable. While I may not be an alcoholic (or perhaps I am), I am quite committed to the 30 days of being totally dry. Non-alcoholic wine has been a God send, it seems. I am going to purchase more Merlot later and ask the shop keeper who promised to order the Ariel Cabernet to do so. The unfortunate thing is that the Ariel isn't cheap. Nine bux a bottle for non-booze wine. A little steep, but I do understand that it isn't grape juice. It takes longer to prepare than wine because after it is distilled or whatever, they need to extract the alcohol. Fine, I get it. But 9 bux is 9 bux. Maybe I can get a volume discount? 

I do notice that I consume less of the non-alcoholic wine than the boozy kind, but I could probably polish off a bottle in one night if I wanted to. I've been starting the evening with Merlot and ending it with either herbal or Lapsang Souchong tea. I LOVE Lapsang Souchong. It's got a smokiness that is just perfect for the winter (or whatever it is you want to call this odd season we've been having here in the Northeast). It is lovely with a splash of lowfat milk and a teaspoon of honey.

The thing I was most concerned about when I stopped drinking was sleep. I enjoy sleeping. And there's nothing nicer than the kind of deep sleep you experience after several glasses of wine. The first night without booze, I struggled to get to sleep. I also got restless legs. But, I figured that it would only last a few nights and then I would get back into a more natural sleeping pattern. Lucky for me, I was back to normal drowsiness by night 2! I am sure that my daily exercise does help with this, however, it was a true bonus. So far, I've been fine in that department.

HUMAN BRAIN: 2
BOOZE BRAIN: 0



No comments:

Post a Comment