Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Alcohol Free Wine

Last night, my boyfriend and I had our annual Valentine's Day meal and I typically buy an extra nice bottle of red for the occasion. I was horrified to think that I wouldn't have a dark, delicious beverage in my glass so I decided to check out the local selection of non-alcoholic wines.

FRE is the only brand that my city seems to have and there were only 2 locations that stock a merlot. I don't drink the alcohol versions of white or blush type wines, so why on earth would I drink the non-alcoholic ones? To my surprise, the non-alcoholic merlot wasn't bad! I wish it could have been a little less sweet, maybe a little smokier, but that would be a carbernet and I don't know that FRE makes a cabernet. In any event, I bought an extra bottle for the future. Bonus: the non-alcoholic wines have way fewer calories. Another bonus: Two of the shops I went to offered to special order non-alcoholic wine for me (I think they were a little embarrassed about their lack of selection).

Isn't it just like grape juice, you might ask? No. They prepare the wine like normal, but extract the alcohol after. So, you are left with all of the various complexities, etc., without the booze. And, you get all the same health benefits!

The brand ARIEL gets great reviews and you can order online. Also, they make a cab. So, that's worth checking out, for sure.

 {Description:} Rich in color and flavor, this oak-aged Cabernet Sauvignon offers aromas of blueberries, blackberries, black pepper and chocolate, with a hint of toasty oak, soft tannins and a dry finish. At its optimum maturity eighteen months after bottling, it can be enjoyed immediately or held for up to 5 to 7 years.

It's funny, I stopped eating meat years ago, so when I have an artificial meat prepared in a delicious, convincing way, I feel a bit guilty. I imagine that a really lovely non-alcoholic wine might feel the same way. 

HUMAN BRAIN: 1
BOOZE BRAIN: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment