Pages

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Three months ago ...

... I had my last drink. At least, I hope and pray it was my last drink. Every day seems to be easier than the last, though every so often a curve ball comes my way. I just remind myself that the moment is temporary and that it will pass.

After my extreme fatigue went away, I started feeling great. I still do. Generally speaking, I sleep well. I no longer have acid reflux, which I had given myself after years of daily drinking. I actually started wheezing and coughing as a daily consequence of my alcoholism, but was still not ready to stop. Now, it's as if it never happened. But that's one of the quirky things about alcoholism. When you go back to feeling great, your disease taps you on the back and offers you a drink. And you're like, "Well, what's the harm?" At the moment, I am winning the fight. But I know that this can change because I have no idea what sort of situations wait for me in the future. So, all I can do is use the practical tools I have found in recovery to empower myself through those situations and hope I remain sober on the other side. Thankfully, there is a community of supportive people who get it and can come to my aid should I need them.

May the force be with us all.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment