Pages

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Idea

I'm still in early sobriety, so I spend a good amount of time listening to sober podcasts, audio books on sobriety and reading up on sober blogs. When does early sobriety end, by the way? I am guessing after a year, though I have heard that the first 6 months are the most difficult.  My first 3 months have been full of ups and downs, but I have tried to maintain a good balance. I am still experiencing my "firsts," as in my first sober party, my first sober funeral, my first sober beach weekend. Each time I embark on one of these "firsts," I find myself not necessarily wanting to drink, but not exactly feeling calm and relaxed, either. I'm antsy, acutely aware of all the alcohol around me and trying to convince myself that everything is okay, that I can find enjoyment in these activities without my old friend. Easier said than done. I'm glad I am knocking these "firsts" out of the way. I look forward to a time when I am not obsessive about alcohol in these situations. Since I'm only 3 months in, I am being patient with myself. I am telling myself that this is a process and that it is perfectly natural to feel anxious in these situations where my social lubricant was flowing like a mighty stream.

Anyway, I have found tremendous comfort in learning that I am not alone. It is such a relief to hear other stories and identify countless numbers of similarities to my own. As you may know, I am a really big fan of The Bubble Hour, a weekly podcast created by and posted by women in recovery. I have never met them, but through the generosity of their wisdom and time, I feel that I know them well and they inspire me. I certainly know their stories. I lived it, too. I find myself wanting to listen to more recovery stories. I have searched around and I have seen some TED Talks and, as I once mentioned here, the After Party podcasts. I have also heard a few AA podcasts, but I must admit that I was turned off right away. The first one I listened to was given by a 35-year-old woman who had been in recovery since the age of 15 and, in my view (I know I am not supposed to judge), might just be a little too dependent on the program.

I am thinking of starting a quick podcast series, maybe 30 minutes each. Ten questions. Always the same questions. The person in recovery can remain anonymous or give their name, which ever they choose would be fine. Here are the questions I am thinking about asking:
 
  1. Tell me about the beginning of your relationship with alcohol.
  2. At what point did you start to sense that the honeymoon period of your relationship with alcohol was starting to wane? What were the early signs?
  3. What lengths did you personally go to in order to manage your drinking? Did you ever hide your alcohol from anyone or stash it in secret places?
  4. Describe some of the ways in which you were dishonest to yourself and others about your drinking.
  5. Did anyone ever express concern to you about your drinking? What was that like?
  6. Describe your “bottom.”
  7. How did you find recovery? 
  8. Describe some of the challenges you have faced while in recovery.
  9. What are your best tools for staying on track? Where do you draw the most strength? 
  10. What advice would you give someone who is on the fence about entering a recovery program? 

I think this would be a nice, digestible series that could be helpful, particularly to people in early recovery. Maybe I can draft another series of ten questions for people who have been in long term recovery.

What are your thoughts? Do you think this could be useful?

5 comments:

  1. I definitely think it could be useful. I was a guest on the bubble hour. It was an amazing experience and I'm glad I did it.
    Do you listen to Belle at tired if thinking about drinking too?
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you were a guest! Which one? I will research the Belle series. Thank you! I don't think podcasts are too hard, but I will need volunteers. I might put a shout out on the BFB.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was on the Mother's Day one. I tell my story. It felt good to get it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just listened to the episode. I think I might have skipped over it because I don't have children and therefore do not need to worry about this conversation. But I am really glad that I took the time to listen because (a) it gives me a great appreciation for parents in recovery and the unique issues they face and (b) I grew up in a house with an active alcoholic so i can see things from the child's perspective. If my father had received treatment for his drinking, maybe there could have been an opportunity for this discussion, but, instead, it was a don't ask/don't tell sort of thing and on the rare occasions that it would come up, he would get up and start "stumbling around" all exaggerated-like to prove that he wasn't "a drunk." I really admire your honesty in telling your story and in finding ways to relate your recovery to your children. I do believe that the conversation evolves as children grow into young adults. Knowledge is power, as they say. Bravo, Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for that. It is hard to know how to approach hard issues with kids, but the reality is if you pretend nothing is wrong it doesn't make it true. It just makes everyone nervous.

    ReplyDelete