Pages

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Find Your Truth

I had a few white knuckle rides this weekend. I went to NYC and had dinner with an old friend. This is a person who I love dearly and who came into my life when I started drinking heavily. He started drinking heavily around this time, too. We both had our excuses: Job stress, external factors romanticizing alcohol, etc. I told him of my recent decision to be sober and he fully supports it. He also admitted that he and his partner have increased their alcohol consumption to dangerous levels over the years. It is highly likely that they are both dependent and need to start asking themselves some difficult questions.

The next day, my husband and I went to an outdoor movie and people were boozing it up all around us. I could see it and smell it everywhere. It was horribly distracting.

But I made it through without drinking.

I have resolved not to have a full-blown conversation with my in-laws about my sobriety. It doesn't need to become a drama. The most important thing isn't whether or not people understand or support me (although those things are very helpful), it's about my choice to be sober.

You can call it a disease. You can call it poor decision-making. You can say a person is genetically predisposed. You can call it whatever you like. Whatever the label or non-label, I was drinking at an alarming rate and was unwilling to control the volume and speed in which I was drinking. Some say you are powerless. Others say, you have the power to make better choices but choose the substance instead. One thing is clear to me, however, and illustrates, without a shadow of a doubt that I must abstain from drinking: When in the rare situation where I was allowed only one drink, I would be angry. Normal drinkers would be so happy. Yay! I get a drink! Not me. Though I would never vocalize it, I would be seething and frustrated. One drink wouldn't do it. One drink was impossible to savor and enjoy. One drink fucking sucked. That's me being 100% honest.

Whatever you decide to put in your toolbox, you must find your truth. You must be clear about the facts of your drinking and your motivations. You you must carve out an individual path that works for you. Call it your own special brand of recovery. Recovery should feel right, whatever that becomes for you. Cherry pick what you need from various sources. If you don't agree with something, don't be afraid to say, "fuck that." This is your life. Philosophies and theories are not hard truths. You know your story, you know what informs your decisions, you know your triggers, you know your truth.

4 comments:

  1. I agree! Find your truth, your path, your way of life.
    For me, this means trying to be open minded. I am apt to jump to quick judgements and it is very hard to change my mind. I'm working on that!
    I never liked one drink either. Go hard or go home. Shudder.

    I can't figure out how to follow your blog...but I love reading what you write...advice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anne! I use Blogger, so I'm not sure. I can check on the template and see if there is a way. Thank you for reading and commenting! We are all in it together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your advice! I am sure that I am better off not drinking and I never enjoyed one drink...I would even get upset sometimes at the idea of "splitting a bottle" with someone because it meant I only got half a bottle. Anyway...I have been seriously head-tripping over the past couple of weeks about labeling and categorizing my "recovery". Your post really helps give me "permission" to find my own way in this journey. I'm so glad you are here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, yes, the bottle splitting scenario. Been there. Same frustration! I feel like customizing your recovery is the best approach. You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete